This is an incredibly useful recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Click here (scroll to the bottom of the page) for her original post and to find many other fabulous uses for this tart shell.
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, diced
- 1 egg
- Combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, or with your fingers until dough resembles course cornmeal.
- Add the egg and mix with a fork just until combined. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Place dough in a 9-inch tart pan and gently press into the shape of the pan. Place dough in refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- Fill and bake according to recipe.