You know, I make a lot of stir-fries. The truth is that I never get tired of them. They come together super fast and are endlessly variable.
Although most of my stir-fry creations wouldn’t even be worthy of noting here since they involve me throwing the leftover contents of the refrigerator and some soy sauce into a wok, tossing it around, and serving it over rice. They’re always good, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to share them with you. No, I’d rather save this space to bring you wok recipes that I deem to be much more fun, like curries with coconut milk and mango and fried rice loaded with bacon and a fried egg.
This vegetarian stir-fry was much too good to overlook, though. The sauce, made rich with hoisin sauce, coats the eggplant, tofu, peppers, and onion and gives every bite a hint of sweetness and vinegar. It’s just as easy as my no-recipe soy-sauce stir-fries but has a lot more personality.
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- ½ pound eggplant, peeled, and cut into bite-size pieces (about 2 cups)
- 12 oz. extra-firm tofu, cut into even bite-size cubes
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ a whole onion, chopped
- ½ a red pepper, chopped
- Prepare eggplant and tofu. About 30 minutes before cooking, place eggplant in a small colander over a bowl and sprinkle with salt to remove excess moisture. Place cubed tofu on paper towels to allow moisture to drain.
- Make sauce. Whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is disolved.
- Stir-fry. Heat vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and tofu and cook (be gentle as these moisture-rich ingredients will sputter and spit in the oil), stirring frequently, until eggplant becomes tender and tofu begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add red pepper and onion to the pan, stirring until onion softens, about 2 minutes. Add sauce, stirring occasionally, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Serve immediately.