Chocolate-Dipped Banana Bread Truffles

by Jess on February 14, 2013

in Dessert, Jess and Frank, Recipes

This humble loaf of banana bread is about to get a serious upgrade.

Martha Stewart Banana Bread :: Inquiring Chef

I’ve always been equal parts intrigued and intimidated by cake pops.  It’s not the general concept that throws me (combining cake from a mix and frosting seems do-able), but it’s the thought of keeping them on sticks that I’m not so sure about.  I’ve been eyeing the little treats long enough to have seen some pretty beautiful ones, but I never wanted to throw my hat in the ring.  So when I saw Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats write about a brownie version that she kept in “truffle” form (read: no sticks involved), I realized it was the perfect way to give something in the cake pop realm a try.

Banana Bread TrufflesThe first year Frank and I started dating, I wanted to bake him his favorite cake.  Mind you, I’m not sure I had ever baked a cake at that point in my life.  Love.  That’s what it does to us.  I would have attempted seven layers and six kinds of frosting if that’s what he had wanted.

Banana Bread Truffles_StepsBut my husband-to-be did not want a bunch of layers of buttercream or any kind of crazy ganache on that first Valentines Day.  What he wanted was a banana bread cake.  He had tasted a slice from a local bakery, and loved it.  The cake had two layers of banana bread (just regular banana bread, baked in a cake pan), with a layer of cream cheese frosting and a top of chocolate frosting.  I was thrilled – I could handle banana bread.

On that first Valentine’s Day the frosting probably came off the shelf at the store, and I think the finished result lilted fairly far to the right, but it was delicious.  It was a fantastic idea for a cake.

Banana Bread Truffles :: Inquiring Chef

These truffles are that cake, in bite-sized form.  They pack up nicely, and would be great any time of year, but if you have a banana bread lover in your midst, they might be the perfect way to show your love on Valentine’s Day.

I’m glad to have found my way into the cake pop truffle camp. I’m totally hooked.

Chocolate Dipped Banana Bread Truffles :

These are seriously addictive.  Did I sneak a truffle or two (or six) on Monday morning while eating my oatmeal by the refrigerator door?  Yes I did.  Did we snack on them for dessert several nights in a row?  Yes, yes we did.  Did I create an entire board on Pinterest as an ode to my growing love of all things cake truffles?  (Ahem.)

Banana Bread Truffles

I think your next loaf of banana bread might an upgrade as well.

Chocolate-Dipped Banana Bread Truffles

Prep time
Total time

A sweet and simple recipe for rich truffles made from a loaf of banana bread, cream cheese, and chocolate.
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 60 small truffles
Ingredients
  • 1 loaf banana bread (see note)
  • 6 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 10oz (300g) milk chocolate broken into 1 oz pieces (set aside 1 oz. for topping)
Instructions
  1. Using a bread knife, cut off the outer edges of the banana bread and discard. (Just cut thin slivers off the sides that baked against the loaf pan – the dark crust is difficult to break apart.)
  2. Using your fingers or a fork, crumble the banana bread into very small pieces in a medium mixing bowl. Add cream cheese to the bowl and, using a fork, mash the banana bread crumbs and cream cheese into a creamy, uniform consistency.
  3. Using your hands, roll the banana bread/cream cheese mixture into even balls 1-2 inches in diameter. (This should produce about 60 balls, but there is no need to be precise here – make them larger or smaller if you prefer.) Place the balls on a wax-paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but as long as overnight.
  4. Melt 7 ounces of the chocolate in a double-boiler or in the microwave (stopping every 10 seconds to stir the chocolate so that it does not overheat and dry out). Roughly chop 2 ounces of the remaining chocolate into small pieces. Add the chopped chocolate to the melted chocolate and stir well to combine. The chopped chocolate should melt and it should all become shiny and smooth. (If it doesn’t all melt, heat it just a bit longer until it does.)
  5. Dip the chilled banana bread balls in the melted chocolate and gently transfer the balls between two forks to allow excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Return the chocolate-dipped balls to the wax paper. Using the 1 oz. of reserved chocolate gently grate a few shavings over each truffle before the chocolate hardens.
  6. Allow the truffles to cool at room temperature until firm. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
Notes
Inspired by these Brownie Mix Truffles. Don’t spent too much time fussing over the banana bread you make for this recipe. The simplest version will work just fine since it will eventually be mashed and rolled into balls. I recommend this simple, moist Banana Bread by Martha Stewart without the nuts because it is delicious, but also quick to make.

Fellow cake-pop phobics, fear not, for here are a whole variety of simple “cake” truffles – sticks are optional!

{ 42 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Claire @ Claire K Creations February 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Yum yum yum Jess what a brilliant idea! I made my first batch of cake truffles at Christmas and loved them. Great way to use up any leftovers too (if there are any of course).
Claire @ Claire K Creations recently posted..Sweet ValentineMy Profile

2 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles February 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oh my goodness…this looks like something I’d completely fall in love with! I’m crazy for anything banana – breads, muffins, cakes – and these truffles look amazing!
Brenda @ a farmgirl’s dabbles recently posted..Sweet and Creamy Tomato BisqueMy Profile

3 Jess February 14, 2013 at 10:51 am

Me too, Brenda! I can’t resist banana, but I REALLY can’t resist banana and chocolate! ;) Thanks so much for stopping by.

4 Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen February 14, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I cannot even get over this. They must taste ahhh-mazing!!
Katrina @ In Katrina’s Kitchen recently posted..Nutella Oat Breakfast CookiesMy Profile

5 Jess February 15, 2013 at 7:47 am

They were so good, Katrina. We ate the last of them last night after dinner, and I was so sad to see them go. ;)

6 Joyti February 14, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I think cake pops are pretty, but to get them to stay on the sticks you need a lot of sweet frosting – and they end up being too sweet. Well, too sweet for me, I like my sweets rather un-sweet.
Your banana bread truffles sound much more appealing. I hope you and your Valentine enjoy the day!
Joyti recently posted..Embrace the DayMy Profile

7 Jess February 15, 2013 at 7:46 am

I agree completely, Joyti. I’m not very much into super sweet desserts. This hit just the right spot for me, but it definitely did not need a bunch of frosting! Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

8 Ashley February 15, 2013 at 1:16 am

Such a great idea! I don’t usually like banana bread all that much but mixed with cream cheese and dipped in chocolate?? Now that’s something I can enjoy! And I meant to tell you – made your couscous with roasted veggies the other night and it was so good. Even my husband who sometimes boycotts meatless meals liked it : )
Ashley recently posted..Strawberry BellinisMy Profile

9 Jess February 15, 2013 at 7:48 am

Ashley! I’m so glad to hear it! The couscous is a favorite around here. (Really – what wouldn’t be delicious mixed with cream cheese and dipped in chocolate? ;) )

10 Cassie | Bake Your Day February 15, 2013 at 1:25 am

Too fun! I’m getting ready to make banana bread today and might just have to do this with one of the loaves!
Cassie | Bake Your Day recently posted..SEO for Food Bloggers | Part V: Tips & ToolsMy Profile

11 Jess February 15, 2013 at 7:49 am

It’s definitely going to be a regular in our rotation – we have SO many bananas around all the time. Enjoy your first Valentine’s Day in the new house!!!

12 Katie (The Muffin Myth) February 15, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Genius! What a fun way to make banana bread into a little bite sized snack. I can already imagine the flavour in my mouth of the banana bread / cream cheese combo. Soooooo good. Definitely tucking this recipe away in the ‘must try’ file.
Katie (The Muffin Myth) recently posted..whole wheat chocolate chip cookie cake with dried cherries and smoked saltMy Profile

13 Elana @ The Inventive Vegetarian February 15, 2013 at 9:49 pm

OMG, this is genius! I actually have half a loaf of banana bread in my fridge right now and I am sooooo tempted to use it this way instead of eating it for breakfast. Thanks for the inspiration!
Elana @ The Inventive Vegetarian recently posted..Oven Roasted Mushroom and Tomato CrostiniMy Profile

14 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 16, 2013 at 4:17 am

I love banana bread and loved squishing it between my fingers as a kid! And this…would be so perfect! Cream cheese and chocolate, even better!!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..My Cookbook: Peanut Butter ComfortMy Profile

15 Kankana February 16, 2013 at 2:14 pm

This is a fantastic idea, absolutely loving it!
Kankana recently posted..Hibiscus SyrupMy Profile

16 Jess February 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Thanks Kankana! So glad to have found your blog – your photography is absolutely stunning!

17 Debra February 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm

What a great idea. I would never have thought of this. I am thinking of lots of adaptations now too. It’s crazy what we try for love. I am still trying to master The Hubs’ grandmother’s cinnamon rolls. Maybe someday I will master them.
Debra recently posted..Cherry Valentine’s Day CupcakesMy Profile

18 Jess February 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Good for you to keep trying at those cinnamon rolls, Debra! At least the ones that aren’t “quite” like hers are still delicious to eat!

19 Karista February 18, 2013 at 1:10 am

OMG! When I clicked on your link and saw these truffles I giggled out loud! Ok, these just make me happy. Just looking at them I can smell the banana bread and dunked in chocolate… well I think I just found my new favorite treat. :) I’m still smiling!
Karista recently posted..Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Roasted Red Pepper Hazelnut SauceMy Profile

20 Valerie February 18, 2013 at 3:11 am

I was just dreaming up some banana bread truffles of my own and stumbled upon your blog! They look ah-maz-ing! This, plus your previous post of chai spice granola, means I’ll definitely be back…it seems we have VERY similar tastes :)
Valerie recently posted..RVA Breakfast: BonvenuMy Profile

21 Jess February 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Valerie – I’ll second that we have similar tastes – I just got completely pulled into your blog, bookmarking a whole bunch of recipes I can’t wait to try! Thanks so much for stopping in. P.S. I went to JMU – love Virginia!

22 Rachel @ Bakerita February 21, 2013 at 7:30 am

Jess – these look SO phenomenal! Banana bread truffles?! A girl after my own heart…so glad I found your website as well. I need to make these ASAP!
Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted..Frosted Chocolate Fudge BrowniesMy Profile

23 Yii-Huei February 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Yum! I never thought of making banana bread truffles, these look amazing!

24 Candace February 27, 2013 at 6:56 am

These sound delicious! Could you combine the bread and cream cheese in a food processor?

25 Jess February 27, 2013 at 7:24 am

Candace – I didn’t try it in the food processor, but I definitely think it would work!

26 Loula March 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I LOVED these! :) What a great idea and so easy to make! I made half the recipe using a home-made sugar-free banana bread, low-fat cream cheese and dark chocolate and the truffles were so good! YUMMO!
Thank you so much for sharing this delish recipe with us!
Loula

27 Jess March 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

Loula – thank you so much for stopping by to let me know! It’s so good to hear that you had success with this variation. I’ve tried it with two different banana bread recipes, and loved the result every time. Thanks again!

28 Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker March 15, 2013 at 12:10 am

These look fantastic! I love the idea of using cream cheese in place of the typical frosting in a cake pop, not to mention that the whole combo of cream cheese and banana bread sounds amazing. Then you go and dip it all in chocolate? Sounds heavenly. :)
P.S. Such a cute story behind this recipe!
Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker recently posted..Confession #115: I Have Too Much Fun with Holidays… Mint Oreo BrowniesMy Profile

29 Caitlin April 25, 2013 at 5:08 am

I love this idea. My sister made them and they were fantastic. I thought they’d be super tasty with pumpkin bread! The pumpkin bread/cream cheese balls are chilling right now, I can’t wait to dip them!

30 Jess April 25, 2013 at 7:03 am

Caitlin – awesome idea to use pumpkin bread!!! I’m totally going to try that!

31 Tash @ The Velvet Moon Baker May 17, 2013 at 4:00 am

Wow what a fab idea these are, they look absolutely divine
Tash @ The Velvet Moon Baker recently posted..Spiced Chocolate Orange Loaf CakeMy Profile

32 Joy May 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm

These look absolutely delicious! I made Martha Stewart’s banana bread tonight, only to realize I’m not sure what kind of chocolate to use. I’ve attempted to use Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips in the past, but the melted chocolate seizes and doesn’t work at all. What brand and form of milk chocolate did you use?

33 Jess May 22, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Joy, I tested these a couple times with Ritter chocolate using both 50% dark chocolate and milk chocolate with great results. Do you ever melt half the chocolate and stir the rest in to the melted bunch? (I use the microwave so this is sort of my attempt to temper the chocolate.) I find that usually (but not always) cures my seizing chocolate issues, but I’ve never worked with Ghirardelli.

34 Sarah @ Miss Candiquik August 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm

oh wow! These sound amazing. Like cake balls, only healthier ;). Thanks!
Sarah @ Miss Candiquik recently posted..Key Lime Cake PopsMy Profile

35 vanillasugarblog October 8, 2013 at 11:00 pm

where did you get the recipe from?
vanillasugarblog recently posted..pumpkin pancakesMy Profile

36 Jess October 9, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hi there – if you are asking where I found the recipe for chocolate-dipped banana bread truffles, it’s a total original. Just something I thought of while looking at a loaf of banana bread. ;)

37 vanillasugarblog October 10, 2013 at 5:29 am

I had made the exact same recipe (months before you), and saw that your recipe wording was a lot like mine.
A lot of people steal recipes and claim them as their own.
Not accusing you, but I never know.
I just made pumpkin bread balls, so that one is already done.
vanillasugarblog recently posted..pumpkin bread ballsMy Profile

38 Jess October 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I guess it’s bound to happen that there are similarities, but I absolutely understand your concern. I’m happy to discover your beautiful blog though!

39 Kelley November 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Hi Jess! I love this recipe! It looks amazing, thank you for sharing it with us! Do you know if I could use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for the cream cheese? Thank you very much!

40 Jess November 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Hi Kelley! It’s a great idea, but I can’t be entirely certain about the Greek yogurt substitute since I haven’t tried it. I wonder if the moisture content in yogurt might be a bit too high, so you might try starting with a smaller amount of yogurt and adding it a bit at a time until the mixture reaches a consistency where you can roll the banana bread into balls. If you try it out, please let me know how it goes!

41 Annette December 8, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Can these be froze?

42 Sarah January 28, 2014 at 1:40 am

I made these for my boyfriend too! His favourite cake is banoffee pie so I tried to add some toffee flavour but it got a bit overpowered by the banana. Still really delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe
Sarah recently posted..Banoffee/Banana Bread Cake BallsMy Profile