We have news!

by Jess on December 10, 2013

in Jess and Frank, Twin Pregnancy

I guess there’s no point in burying my lead on this one. Frank and I are adding to our little family with not one, but TWO babies this spring.  We’re having twins!  And these twins, we found out last week, are identical twin girls.  We expect them to make their arrival in late April/early May.

I’m 17 weeks along, and glad to be finally sharing (shouting) our news.  It’s felt like a weighty, though wonderful, secret to keep all this time.  Frank and I have both known we would someday become parents, and like so many things in our life since we got married in 2010, this new adventure has already been full of surprises and unexpected joys.  These past few months have made me slow my usual speediness down.  (Way, way down.)  It’s been a unique time to just be thankful and let nature do its crazy thing.  I am so excited to meet these two people and watch them grow.  I’m excited to see Frank as a father.  I’ve always known he’ll be an amazing one.

Thank you for reading and thank you, in particular, for reading during a very spotty blogging season. Turns out that food blogging and the first trimester of pregnancy do not go hand-in-hand.

But we do have photographic evidence that the past few months really happened.

Here we are in Phuket Thanksgiving week….

Frank and Jess Nov 2013

And here are a few shots of the twins’ growing digs.

At 12 weeks (What?  TWO babies?)….14 weeks (belly shot self-portraits are awwwwkward)….and 16 weeks (under the watchful eye of dad-to-be).

Baby Bump 12 14 16 weeks

As it turns out, being pregnant with twins means lots of ultrasounds (and doctor’s visits) and lots of pictures (and videos!) of our growing little ones, which has been so much fun.

16 Week Twins Sonogram

But everything is going really well – they’re growing fast, and I’ve been feeling pretty good, all things considered.  I haven’t had many strange cravings, unless you count my craving to sleep 12 hours a day.

Although moments ago I ordered a $27 loaf of bread just for a taste of home.  (It was, for the record, Strawberry Hill Povitica.  Kansas City folks will understand).

Twin Christmas Stockings 2013

It feels altogether crazy and wonderful.  We are grateful for every single minute.

Thank you friends for letting us share our joy and, in advance, for understanding my newfound fondness for tiny pink things.

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Claire @ Claire K Creations December 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I have tears reading this Jess! You look fantastic and I’m so excited we’re going to be baby buddies. Congratulations to you both again! Isn’t it amazing how much you have to slow down? I guess it’s for a pretty good reason!
Rest up and have a wonderful holiday season. xx
Claire @ Claire K Creations recently posted..Chocolate spiced pumpkin bundt cakeMy Profile

2 Jess December 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Me too, Claire!! I’m so excited for you and think it’s so fun we’re baby buddies. You’ll be a pro by the time our two arrive!

3 Annie December 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Congratulations!!! Here’s wishing you and your hubby all the best.
Praying for healthy baby Princesses and Mommy to be.

4 Jess December 10, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Thanks so much, Annie. We are thrilled. :)

5 Cassie December 10, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Congratulations, Jess! So happy for the FOUR of you!! :-)
Cassie recently posted..French Onion Pork ChopsMy Profile

6 Jess December 13, 2013 at 7:51 am

Oh boy…four of us… ;) Thank you, Cassie!

7 Monica December 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Oh my goodness – twins!!! How exciting! Double-congratulations to you and your husband!! : ) I wish you all the best for a smooth pregnancy and delivery. Yay!!! And thank you for sharing such sweet, happy news.
Monica recently posted..Italian-American butter cookies (aka, the ones kids love)My Profile

8 Jess December 13, 2013 at 7:51 am

Thank you, Monica – I’m so glad to be able to finally share!

9 Julie @ Table for Two December 10, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Oh my gosh! Wow! What a blessing! Twin baby girls – congratulations to you and your husband!! I can’t wait to read baby updates :)
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Spiced Almond Crusted Halibut with Pumpkin Sweet Potato PureeMy Profile

10 Karista December 10, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Jess! My eyes are tearing up and I’m so excited for you! I’m an identical twin! I have a twin sister and I have to tell you she and I have been best friends from the beginning. It’s a special connection being identical twins. I live in Oregon and my sis lives in Florida. Yet we still do the same things. From purchasing the same clothing and furniture without knowing, to cooking the same meal on the same day. Lol! It’s hilarious. Huge congratulations on becoming a Mom!! My absolute favorite job. You are going to be the best Mother! Huge hugs and loads of love to you!
Karista recently posted..Frittata FlorentineMy Profile

11 Jess December 13, 2013 at 7:50 am

Karista!? You are!?? I can’t tell you how fun it is to hear that – I’m still trying to wrap my head around what this will mean for these girls when they are born, much less what it will mean for the rest of their lives. How amazing for you and your sister! Wow – thanks so much for sharing this – big hugs to you!

12 Karista December 14, 2013 at 1:30 am

Hugs to you to Jess! You’re in for some real fun and adventures :) Truly a huge blessing!
Karista recently posted..Winter Roasted Beet SaladMy Profile

13 Feast on the Cheap December 10, 2013 at 10:32 pm

How incredibly exciting. Double congrats!!!!
Feast on the Cheap recently posted..Black Bean Soup with Chicken Sausage and Honey Crisp AppleMy Profile

14 The Mistress of Spices December 10, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Congrats, great news! I just had a little baby boy myself 7 weeks ago, here in Bangkok. If you have any questions about pregnancy and childbirth here in Bkk, please feel free to get in touch with me! P.S. H&M at Siam Paragon has a great maternity section!

15 Erin | The Law Student's Wife December 10, 2013 at 11:53 pm

SO EXCITING! Congrats on your lovely family-to-be!
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Andes Mint CookiesMy Profile

16 dana December 11, 2013 at 1:01 am

wow wow wow! congrats you two (or four!)!! What a blessing

17 Anne ~ Uni Homemaker December 11, 2013 at 3:00 am

Yay, congrats Jess! I’m so happy for you and Frank. Identical twin girls? How exciting! :) Double congrats are in order. :) Have a smooth pregnancy and thanks for sharing this wonderful news with us. :) HUGS!
Anne ~ Uni Homemaker recently posted..Turkey Stuffed Cabbage SoupMy Profile

18 Jess December 13, 2013 at 7:48 am

Thanks so much, Anne – we feel so blessed!

19 mimi December 11, 2013 at 3:43 am

Those are the prettiest marshmallows I’ve ever seen! Congratulations on your girl babies!
mimi recently posted..PhoMy Profile

20 Jess December 13, 2013 at 7:48 am

Thank you, Mimi!

21 Ashley December 11, 2013 at 5:14 am

Ahhhh congratulations Jess!!! (And Frank!!) I’m so excited for you two!! So much to celebrate this holiday season! Twins run super heavily in my family so I always get excited when other people have twins! My cousin had twin baby boys about a year ago and they are the cutest : )
Ashley recently posted..Cranberry Cupcakes with White Chocolate FrostingMy Profile

22 Katie (The Muffin Myth) December 11, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Amazing news!!! And identical twins, what an amazing adventure to be on! You’re looking amazing, and I hope you’ll keep us posted on how things go. Looking forward to seeing more :)
Katie (The Muffin Myth) recently posted..what’s good around the web!My Profile

23 Jess December 13, 2013 at 7:47 am

Thanks so much Katie! We’re so excited and will definitely share updates!

24 Erin @ The Emerging Foodie December 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

OH MY GOSH! Jess! That is so so exciting! Congratulations! Two, beautiful, identical girls! I am so so happy for you both! Can’t wait to see more of the process from your blog. :)
Erin @ The Emerging Foodie recently posted..Egyptian NuggetsMy Profile

25 Debra December 16, 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh my goodness! I am so happy for you both. Twins? Wow! Double blessing!
Debra recently posted..The “Party Book” and a vintage dip recipe (circa 1960)My Profile

26 PolaM December 17, 2013 at 3:01 am

Congrats! You look great!
PolaM recently posted..Polenta reinventedMy Profile

27 Kate December 19, 2013 at 9:40 am

Jess, what wonderful news! I’m so happy for you both. I can imagine that food blogging during the first trimester would be rough indeed. Side note: sounds like I need to go to Merriam for some of that Strawberry Hill Povitica.
Kate recently posted..Banana Baked French Toast with Peanut Butter DrizzleMy Profile

28 Leigh December 24, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Congratulations. What a wonderful to celebrate.

29 Jill Andrus December 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi Jess,
Congratulations! I am a recipe stalker from Idaho and I’ve been having fun trying out your posts. I have identical twin girls too and it’s the BEST BEST thing ever! Enjoy every second of it and take lots of pics because it goes fast. My girls are already 3.
Jill

30 Anne S. January 26, 2014 at 4:30 am

Congratulations to your family! My twins are 16… you are in for a treat one day after then next!!