Molly and Clara – 1 month

by Jess on May 30, 2014

in Family, Jess and Frank

1 Month
Last week marked the end of Molly and Clara’s first month!  I’m far from being ready to pull the whole “wow, they grow so fast” cliché because these first few weeks have been long in a number of (mostly exhaustion-induced) ways. And while some of it has been a blur, I wouldn’t trade a minute of it.

It certainly feels like a rite of passage.  Like we’re rushing the fraternity of new parenthood.

IMG_2830

It’s been incredible to see their personalities emerge even at this early stage.  We’re starting to recognize the little “yip”s that Molly makes in her sleep and the smirk that makes Clara look as if she’s doubting her newbie parents.

IMG_2571

IMG_9356

For me, I’m loving that the girls are slowly, with our persistent nudging, finding their way into a bit of a routine, eating every three hours during the day like clockwork and inching towards longer stretches at night.  Both are becoming good little eaters, and I’m feeling more like their mom and less like a collection of parts needed to sustain them.

Our girls are sensitive little souls, loving above all to be held and cuddled.  Clara adores her sling while Molly prefers being held while implementing a very specific bounce/sway/walk combination.

IMG_2481

As much as I love their big blue eyes, there’s nothing quite as sweet as both of them sleeping soundly side-by-side.

IMG_2569

Having these babies in Bangkok is every bit the adventure I thought it would be.  If I thought the act of walking down a Bangkok street in the hot sun, dodging food carts, and breathing wok-fried chili was crazy before, I never could have dreamed what it would be like with twins.  Frank and I took them to the doctor’s office for their one-month check-up last week which necessitated walking through a stretch of food stalls with our Land Rover of a stroller.  A chorus of “fet” (twin) followed us as every vendor and patron stopped to watch us pass.

photo

Molly and Clara slept through the entire thing.

In true new-Mom form, I was far more upset by their one month vaccines than the girls were.  They cried for 10 seconds and calmed right down.  Molly even slept through having her blood drawn.

We also got the great news that both girls are over 6 pounds!  (We weighed them on the kitchen scale a week ago, so I suspected they might be, but it was good to have the doctor-endorsed word.)  Clara is 6 lb. 2 oz. and Molly is right behind her at 6 lb. 1 oz.  No more premie diapers for us!

IMG_2363

Best of all, the girls have loved their first visitors!  My mom was here when they were two weeks old…

IMG_2863

…and their Aunt Ellen (Frank’s sister) is here now!

photo copy

They’re getting lots of love from family near and far.

In the midst of the action I did attempt the ubiquitous monthly photo with, frankly, poor results.  The photo at the top of the post, in which they appear to be conspiring against me was my favorite, but the outtakes are pretty hysterical.

IMG_2563 IMG_2562 IMG_2559 IMG_2558 IMG_2538

In other news, food posts return this week.  Hooray for a return to real food…or at least to freezer meals.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Ellisha May 30, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Congratulations Jess! I’ve been following your food blog for a while now and I’m so pleased to follow your adventure into parenthood. Wish you and Frank all the best!! And your girls are just beautiful.

2 Jess May 30, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Thanks so much for your note Ellisha – it’s been a fun and wild ride thus far!

3 Katie (The Muffin Myth) May 30, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Man, you guys have got your hands FULL! Props to you for even posting here through the haze of newborn exhaustion times two! The girls are beautiful and it looks like you’re hitting your stride. Can’t wait to see more!
Katie (The Muffin Myth) recently posted..what’s good around the web + weekly meal planMy Profile

4 Jess May 30, 2014 at 10:37 pm

YES, Katie – definitely full hands – literally and figuratively! I’m happy to be emerging a bit from all babies, all the time and finding a few minutes here and there for other things. Hope you’re doing well!

5 Karista May 30, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Oh Jess, Molly and Clara are absolutely gorgeous! The photos brought tears to my eyes, remembering the first few months with my own girls. Such precious moments, yet so much exhaustion. Lol! And yours is doubled!

Because I’m a twin it’s extra exciting to see your sweet twin girls. Thank you for sharing your journey. I adore my twin sister and feel blessed to have her. I know you will be the best twins Mommy! There is a blogger I follow called Twin Tough. She has twin girls about five years old. Might be a fun connection for you.

Hugs! Karista
Karista recently posted..Kitchen LoveMy Profile

6 Jess May 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Oh Karista – thanks so much for your note. I feel so blessed and in awe of this time in their (and my) life, but sheesh – SO tired. ;) Thanks so much for the recommendation – what a great new blog to follow!

7 Liz May 30, 2014 at 9:56 pm

They are so very beautiful!

8 Sarah A May 30, 2014 at 9:58 pm

So beautiful they bring tears to my eyes.

9 Holly Botner May 31, 2014 at 12:04 am

I don’t mean to sound like a scary stalker, but if you lived near me I’d be at the top of your volunteer babysitter’s list. They are so precious!!!! And your photos so beautiful.
Holly Botner recently posted..Giant Nutella Pecan Pizza Cookie – PeacefulMy Profile

10 Holly Botner May 31, 2014 at 12:46 am

11 Missy McCoy May 31, 2014 at 1:26 am

Absolutely Adorable! Congratulations. :)

12 Claire @ Claire K Creations May 31, 2014 at 7:47 am

Jess they are just beautiful! I love the way you described the first few weeks and that you’re starting to feel like their mum not a sum of parts. I totally felt like that although I think it has only been the last month or so that I have come out of it.
What an adventure you’re having.
The photos are classic. Great for 21sts!
Claire @ Claire K Creations recently posted..Alchemy BrisbaneMy Profile

13 Jackie May 31, 2014 at 8:12 am

Hi Jessica!!! I am so happy for you and yours! The girls are beautiful and you are glowing. It sounds like you and Frank have embraced parenthood so wonderful. I am well. Work is busy and life is good. Best, jackie

14 Jess June 6, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Jackie – hope you’re doing well! Our hands are definitely full, but we’re having a great time. We miss you here in BKK!

15 Tesei June 2, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Congratulations for your babies! These pics are amazing and your little girls are two lovely dolls!!!! Enjoy every second of them, time DOES fly…..!!!!

16 angela@spinachtiger June 2, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I met you through Teresa of food on fifth and writing tour. The twins are adorable and bring back memories. I’ve helped my neighbors raise their identical twin boys who are now 6 1/2. Those first few years were challenging but really awesome. There is nothing like the magic of being with twins. The best thing about them was watching how different they are (although yes lots of similarities) and seeing the individual personalities. Just finished kindergarten and kept together in class, one reads at 4 th grade level, the other one no. But he writes and does art incredibly, so seeing how they have their own talents is rewarding. They are great fun, and everyone loves their company. I wish you the very best with your girls. They will fight for your attention and stick together when you wish they wouldn’t, but they will bring you joy abounding.
angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Cake Donut Mini Muffins Made with Einkorn Flour and SucanatMy Profile

17 Monica June 11, 2014 at 3:18 am

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girls! I am sure it is exhausting but what serious beauties you have there. I imagine they are full of personality. :) All the best!
Monica recently posted..Smoked salmon eggs “Benedict”My Profile

18 PolaM June 16, 2014 at 9:39 am

Congrats! They are beautiful and they look a bit like you. And you look great too! Enjoy it!
PolaM recently posted..Summer pasta with arugulaMy Profile

19 Francine Schissell June 29, 2014 at 2:41 am

They adorable. they will grow fast in front of your eyes.